Friday, October 22, 2010

Dear Graham, Week 12

Dear Graham,
What a fun week we've had! Over these past several weeks you have truly started to shine, which has been so enjoyable for your mommy and daddy. You are happy, interactive, and confident. This is a huge contrast to the first eight weeks of your life, where you weren't certain of yourself or your surroundings. This transition has made it so much easier on your mommy and daddy. I am so thankful for the many blessings that shine through each of your milestones.

In fact, in a conversation earlier this week I asked your daddy why, in all of the books we read, they didn't tell you that the first eight weeks were so hard. He said it was because no one would have children...I disagreed and said I would have liked to have been better prepared. Instead of being blindsided, I would have rather read a book titled, "Get Ready for the Toughest Eight Weeks. Ever." or "You Just Thought Labor and Delivery Were Hard." or "Everything You Thought You Knew You'll Now Doubt." Something so painstakingly obvious that it would have struck me right between the eyeballs and made me say, "Oh, now I get how it's going to be."

I guess there is no substitute for experience, and while it was challenging, these past 12 weeks have been the proudest time of my life.









Now, back to this week. In my last several letters to you I have avoided mentioning swaddling. Apparently parenthood makes you incredibly superstitious, as I've become convinced that just by mentioning progress, you would somehow know and decide to take two steps back. (In fact, when you were just a few weeks old your daddy and I banned saying "good night" to each other as we thought you would hear us and wake more frequently. This just about sums up how delusional and sleep deprived we were.)

For several weeks, on the advice of my good friend Melody, we were double swaddling you in two blankets and it worked like a charm. You actually didn't fight being swaddled and you didn't break free. You also looked adorable, earning many nicknames like pea in a pod, pig in a blanket and, my favorite, the glow worm. Well, as you've gotten a bit bigger and stronger, you eventually found a way to break free. So, we got the straight jacket Miracle Blanket back out and you've been using it each night. You don't fight it anymore and you don't break free...such progress.

You've been becoming more coordinated with your hands recently. Instead of them flailing mindlessly all day long, you're beginning to control them more. Your hands are finding their way to your mouth and you suck on your entire fist. You are also learning to grasp your "best friend" the rattle, but then you don't know what to do with it when it's in your hand.



As you've made progress recognizing voices, you are also now noticing music more and more. We are playing CDs for you before each nap and before bed, and it acts as a sign for rest. Your daddy also spent time with you playing guitar, and you were so vocal in response to his music.



You've changed so much in these last few weeks...it makes me excited to see what you're going to do in the next several weeks.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment