Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dear Graham, Week 30

Dear Graham,
You are now as many weeks old as I am years old, a phenomenon that will only happen once in our lives.



There's so much to say about the past week. The biggest news is that you slept through the night. (Twice!) Even though mommy and daddy still tossed and turned expecting you to get up at some point, you slept through the night two times this week. We are so proud of you and are hoping that this new found skill of yours is one that you embrace.



On Monday we celebrated Presidents' Day, which gave us the chance to spend another whole day together. We again took advantage of the beautiful weather we've been blessed with and spent lots of time outside.

You also started avocado during the weekend, which you liked. Or so I thought. I received a call from your school on Tuesday afternoon that you "threw up all of your guacamole." Yes. Because I sent my almost seven month old son to school with guacamole. And a side of chips. Apparently other babies (and their mommies) aren't as adventurous as you are when it comes to trying new foods. Speaking of trying new foods, you also were introduced to peas this week and loved them.



In fact, you've been loving your fruits and veggies so much that this week you decided to go on a rice cereal strike. This coincided with a new trick you've learned this week--spitting. So, you decided to try out that new skill with the rice cereal you didn't want to eat. Which led to very messy feedings. The upside of this rice cereal strike is that you now like your carrots. Apparently to you anything is better than rice cereal.

Mommy had an event for work on Wednesday night so daddy had nightime routine duty all alone. When I texted him to find out how you were doing, this was his exact reply: "Good. He spit back the cereal at me. Spit up all in the tub, peed all over the floor while I changed the bath water, then once back in the tub, spit up again. We're bathing in spit up." It was all I could do not to laugh out loud at my dinner.



During your 3oth week the Shuttle Discovery launched for its last voyage into space. As I thought about the finality of its mission, it hit me that something that's been such a big part of my life won't be part of yours. Your view of the shuttle program will be similar to mine of the Apollo program: historic, but lacking a personal connection.

Because your dad and I are self-admitted space dorks (hey-we have to throw a little love space's way in gratitude for bringing us together), you will probably either love space too or not want anything to do with it. Regardless of your feelings, I hope that during your life's journey you find something that shows you what humankind is capable of when met with a challenge and in pursuit of a dream. I hope you find something that leaves you so full of wonder that you can't help but want to learn more. I hope you find something that makes you proud of the accomplishments of your country, excited about science, and leaves you in awe of the sheer capacity of our fellow human beings. In doing so, you'll experience what so many of us discovered through the space shuttle program.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment